Calculated grade items can be used to calculate participants' cumulative achievement across multiple grade items. Calculated grade items are NOT included in the Final Grade calculations.
Please Note: Calculated grade items cannot be part of a grade category. They also cannot be used as a Bonus item.
To create a Calculated grade item:
1. Make sure you're in Manage Grades. Manage Grades is the default landing page in the Grades tool, but you can change this preference in Personal Display Options.
2. Click the New button and select Item.
3. Select Calculated from the list of available Grade item types.
4. Enter the Grade Item Name.
5. Enter a Short Name for the Grade Item if you'd like. The Short Name is only visible to members of the Teaching Team with access to the grade book.
6. Enter a Description if you'd like to share additional information about the Grade Item. By default, the Description field is collapsed, so you may need to click Show Description to expand it.
7. Check the box under Can Exceed if participants will have the possibility of earning more than the maximum points possible.
8. Use the Grade Scheme drop down menu to select a custom Grade Scheme if you have previously created one.
9. Check the box to the left of each grade category/item you would like included in the Calculation.
10. Click the Add Rubric button to attach a Rubric to the Grade Item. It is recommend that you create the Rubric first in the Rubrics tool.
11. Override the grade book's set Display Options by checking the box next to the display option(s) you'd like the Grade Item to have. By default, Display Options is collapsed, so you may need to click Show Display Options to expand it. You can review the grade book's display options by going to Class Display Options.
12. Click one of the Save options at the bottom of the screen to save your changes:
- Save and Close: Saves any changes and returns you to the Manage Grades screen.
- Save and New: Saves any changes and allows you to begin creating a new grade item/category.
- Save: Saves any changes and stays on the same screen.