An Image Information item is not a question that can be used for assessment, but rather is an information item placed within a Quiz or Survey to provide an image for course participants to reference on a subsequent group of questions. For Example: If you have 5 questions that should all reference an image, you could add an image to the Image Information item, then use the Caption to direct participants to reference the image for the subsequent 5 questions. Image Information (IMG) items work particlarly well with Short Answer (SA) question types.
To create an Image Information Item, do the following:
1. Click the New button and select Image Information (IMG) from the drop down menu.
Tip: If you are using Sections to organize your questions, make sure to first click on the section where you want to build the question(s) in order to ensure the question is created there. If you have already built a question outside of its designated Question Section, use the Move button to move the question to the Question Section in which it belongs. For more information about moving questions see the help page on moving Question Library questions.
2. Title (Optional): If you leave the title field blank, it will inherit the language in the caption. While we typically recommend not entering a title in a question, for an Image Information item where the Caption text is more than 1-2 sentences we suggest you enter a few words or a sentence that describes the image contained within the Image Information item .
3. Image: Attach the image you would like to use by clicking the Insert an Image button. Upload the file from your computer or select the image from the Course Offering Files area if you have previously uploaded the image to your D2L site. Use the Description field if you want to provide information about the image; text entered into the description field is not available to students.
4. Caption: Use the Caption field to describe to participants what you want them to use the image for. For example: If you want participants to answer the subsequent 5 questions based on this image you would want to state that here.
5. After completing all above items, choose from the four options below:
- Save: Saves and closes the question, returning you to the Question Library.
- Save and Copy: Saves the question, creates a copy, and displays the copy for you to edit.
- Save and New: Saves the question and opens a new, blank, Information question for you to edit.
- Preview: Use to preview your question to see how it will appear when being taken by participants and when being graded by a member of the instructional team. This does not save the question, so when you are finished previewing the question click the Done button to return to the question, then use one of the three save options above to save your question.
If you are editing a question that has already been imported into a Quiz, Survey, and/or Self Assessment, you will be presented with the option to also update the question in those locations (shown above). Be sure to update the question in every location that you want to apply the change. Any location that you do not choose to update will be left with the old version of the question and D2L will consider it an entirely different question from the modified version in the Question Library.
Important: Never update a question in a live Quiz or Survey, as doing so can cause a variety of issues with participant attempts, grading, reports and statistics. Please wait until after the Quiz or Survey period has passed to make modifications to your questions. If you need to modify a question in a live quiz because it is not configured properly, contact the D2L support team using the Online Help Request form to determine the best way to correct the problem.