Please Note: Likert Questions can only be used within the Surveys tool, and therefore are not be available to be imported into a quiz. For more information about the Surveys tool please visit the Surveys Overview help page.
To create a Likert Question, do the following:
1. Click the New button and select Likert Question (LIK) from the drop down menu.
Tip: If you are using Sections to organize your questions, make sure to first click on the section where you want to build the question(s) in order to ensure the question is created there. If you have already built a question outside of its designated Question Section, use the Move button to move the question to the Question Section in which it belongs. For more information about moving questions see the help page on moving Question Library questions.
From within the New Question page, complete the following fields:
2. Title (Optional): While you may use this field to title your question, we suggest leaving it blank. Doing so will cause the Question Text to be inherited as the title, allowing you to see the text of each question in the Question Library.
3. Introductory Text: Enter instructions for how participants should reply to each question (option).
4. Image (Optional): If you would like to attach a picture to this question, do so by clicking the white Add a File button. Use the Description field if you need to provide information about the image; text entered into this field cannot be viewed by students.
5. Scale: Select the question scale you would like to use that best captures the data you are trying to acquire. Check the Include an N/A option if you want to allow participants to select N/A to questions they feel don't apply to them.
6. Add and Remove Options: Use the Add Option button to add an additional question or statement (value field) pertaining to the selected scale. To add multilple value fields at a time, type the number you want to add, then click the Add Option button. To remove a value field click the trash can to the right of that value field.
7. Value: Within each Value field, type a question or statement you would like participants to respond to using the selected scale.
8. Question feedback (Optional): Click Expand question feedback if you would like to provide feedback to participants.
9. After completing all above items, choose from the four options below:
- Save: Saves and closes the question, returning you to the Question Library.
- Save and Copy: Saves the question, creates a copy, and displays the copy for you to edit.
- Save and New: Saves the question and opens a new, blank, Likert question for you to edit.
- Preview: Use to preview your question to see how it will appear when being taken by participants and when being graded by a member of the instructional team. This does not save the question, so when you are finished previewing the question click the Done button to return to the question, then use one of the three save options above to save your question.
If you are editing a question that has already been imported into a Quiz, Survey, and/or Self Assessment, you will be presented with the option to also update the question in those locations (shown above). Be sure to update the question in every location that you want to apply the change. Any location that you do not choose to update will be left with the old version of the question and D2L will consider it an entirely different question from the modified version in the Question Library.
Important: Never update a question in a live Quiz or Survey, as doing so can cause a variety of issues with participant attempts, grading, reports and statistics. Please wait until after the Quiz or Survey period has passed to make modifications to your questions. If you need to modify a question in a live quiz because it is not configured properly, contact the D2L support team using the Online Help Request form to determine the best way to correct the problem.