Please note: Although it is possible to create questions directly in a quiz, we highly recommend that you build all of your questions in the Question Library. When finished, you will be able to import questions into your quiz. Click here for help using the Question Library .
To create a Long Answer Question:
1. In the Question Library (or Quiz), select the New button.
To create a question within a quiz, you will have to navigate to the Add/Edit Questions screen. Click here for instructions.
2. From the dropdown menu, click on the Long Answer Question (LA) option.
3. If you get a "Welcome to the new Question Creation Experience!" message, select Leave it on.
4.Type or paste your question into the Question Text box.
Please Note: When pasting text, D2L will inherit any formatting (e.g. font type and size, indentations, etc.) embedded in the source document. To remove all formatting when pasting your text into D2L, use the following keyboard shortcuts. For a PC: press Ctrl+Shift+V. For a Mac: press Cmd+Shift+V.
5. Select the "Enable HTML Editor for student responses box" if you would like students to be able to upload images, record video and audio files, and/or use special characters and numerical equations in their answers.
6. Enter the number of points that question is worth.
7. Note that D2L automatically shows you how the question will appear on the quiz:
8. You can change the size of the answer box. This will not limit how much text a student can enter. To do this:
A. Click on Options and Select Add Custom Response Box Size
- Default size, about a paragraph
- A bit shorter, just about a sentence
- Much longer, expecting an essay.
Tip: Customizing the response box size indicates to students what your expectations are for this question. The bigger the box, the longer the student's answer should be.
Note: Click the down arrow next to the Save button for more options. Save and New will save your current question and open the window to create a new True/False question. Cancel to return to the Question Library without saving your changes.
10. For instructions on importing your new question(s) into a quiz, visit the Add/Edit Questions help page.
If you are editing a question that has already been imported into a Quiz, Survey, and/or Self Assessment, you will be presented with the option to also update the question in those locations (shown above). Be sure to update the question in every location that you want to apply the change. Any location that you do not choose to update will be left with the old version of the question and D2L will consider it an entirely different question from the modified version in the Question Library.
Important: Never update a question in a live Quiz or Survey, as doing so can cause a variety of issues with participant attempts, grading, reports and statistics. Please wait until after the Quiz or Survey period has passed to make modifications to your questions. If you need to modify a question in a live quiz because it is not configured properly, contact the D2L support team using the Online Help Request form to determine the best way to correct the problem.
To access the old Long Answer question format:
1. From within the question text window, select the down arrow at the top of the screen.
2. In the "Welcome to the new Question Creation Experience! message that appears, select Turn it off.