To create an Ordering Question, do the following:
1. Click the New button and select Ordering Question (ORD) from the drop down menu.
Tip: If you are using Sections to organize your questions, make sure to first click on the section where you want to build the question(s) in order to ensure the question is created there. If you have already built a question outside of its designated Question Section, use the Move button to move the question to the Question Section in which it belongs. For more information about moving questions see the help page on moving Question Library questions.
From within the New Question page, complete the following fields:
2. Title (Optional): While you may use this field to title your question, we suggest leaving it blank. Doing so will cause the Question Text to be inherited as the title, allowing you to see the text of each question in the Question Library.
3. Points: Assign a point value for the question. This value will be carried over to the Quiz when the question is imported and will be used to determine the sum of all question points in the quiz.
4. Difficulty (Optional): While optional, assigning a difficulty level (1 through 5) to each question allows you to add and sort your questions, and view statistics based on question difficulty.
5. Question Text: Enter the question to be answered in this field. With ordering question types, provide specific guidelines for ordering anwers (e.g. oldest to newest, smallest to largest, etc.)
6. Image (Optional): If you would like to attach a picture to this question, do so by clicking the Insert and Image button. Use the Description field if you need to provide information about the image.
7. Grading: Select how D2L should mark correct answers.
- Equally Weighted: Every correct answer is worth the same weight. D2L will calcuate the weight automatically depending upon the number of matches in the question.
- All or Nothing: Participants must select all correct answers, or they will receive a zero for the question.
- Right Minus Wrong: The participants score equals the number of correct answers minus the number of incorrect answers selected.
8. Add and Remove Items: Use the Add Item button to add an additional item for participants to choose from. To add multilple fields at a time, type the number of choices you want to add, then click the Add Item button. To remove an item, click the trash can to the right of each Feedback field.
9. Answer (Value) Field: Within each Value field, type the word or phrase you want participants to place in order. Each value field should contain only one item.
10. Correct Order: Next to each value use the drop down menu to specify the correct order for that item.
11. Answer (Value) Feedback: Use the Feedback boxes if you would like to provide feedback to participants based on the answer they selected.
12. Question hint and feedback (Optional): Click Expand question hint if you would like to provide a question hint to participants. Click Expand question feedback if you would like to provide feedback to all participants, regardless of how they answere the question.
13. After completing all above items, choose from the four options below:
- Save: Saves and closes the question, returning you to the Question Library.
- Save and Copy: Saves the question, creates a copy, and displays the copy for you to edit.
- Save and New: Saves the question and opens a new, blank, Ordering question for you to edit.
- Preview: Use to preview your question to see how it will appear when being taken by participants and when being graded by a member of the instructional team. This does not save the question, so when you are finished previewing the question click the Done button to return to the question, then use one of the three save options above to save your question.
If you are editing a question that has already been imported into a Quiz, Survey, and/or Self Assessment, you will be presented with the option to also update the question in those locations (shown above). Be sure to update the question in every location that you want to apply the change. Any location that you do not choose to update will be left with the old version of the question and D2L will consider it an entirely different question from the modified version in the Question Library.
Important: Never update a question in a live Quiz or Survey, as doing so can cause a variety of issues with participant attempts, grading, reports and statistics. Please wait until after the Quiz or Survey period has passed to make modifications to your questions. If you need to modify a question in a live quiz because it is not configured properly, contact the D2L support team using the Online Help Request form to determine the best way to correct the problem.