To configure the Quiz Restrictions do the following:
2. Use the Status drop down menu to set the quiz to Active when it should be visible to course participants.
Important: If the quiz status is set to Inactive, it will not be automatically available to participants on a set day/time. If you will be using Start and End Dates for your quiz, we recommend setting the quiz status to Active as you create the quiz so that it will open on the set start date.
3. Start and End dates restrict when someone can take a quiz. To add either a Start Date and/or an End Date, check the appropriate Has Start/End Date box and enter the desired date and time. The Start Date is the earliest date and time a participant may begin the quiz. The End Date is the latest date and time a participant may begin a quiz.
4. Due Dates tell participants when a Quiz is due, but do not restrict access in any way. That means students can still open and take the quiz after the due date has passed. Click the Has Due Date box to be able to add a due date and time.
5. If you would like your dates' settings to display in participants' calendar, check the Display in Calendar box.
Tip: By default, quizzes that are beginning or ending within the next 3 days will appear in participants' list of events. Note, however, that participants can adjust their display settings to show events between 2 and 14 days out.
6. Additional Release Conditions (Optional): If you would like to set additional conditions that a participant must meet before being able to take the quiz, you may do so by creating and applying Release Conditions. Click here to open the help pages on Release Conditions.
7. Respondus LockDown Browser (Optional): The options for the Respondus LockDown Browser are grayed out as it is enabled through a tab on the main quizzes page. Information on how to enable the LockDown Browser is located on this help page.
The Optional Advanced Restrictions section allows you to restrict quiz access by password and/or IP address. You may need to click the Expand optional advanced restrictions link to view these options:
8. Password Restrictions (Optional): requires participants to enter a password before they can begin the quiz. Passwords must be between 1 and 20 characters in length and can contain letters, numbers, and special characters. Passwords are case sensitive.
9. IP Restrictions (Optional): requires participants to take their quiz in a specific location (like an on-campus computer lab or classroom). When setting IP address restrictions, the first box must contain the 3 starting numbers of the IP address range. Each additional field is optional depending on how specific you want the IP address restrictions to be.
10. Timing: Select whether you'd like No Time Limit for the quiz or if you'd like to Enforce a time limit.
Note: Selecting Enforce a time limit will open additional timing options. If you enforce a time limit, a countdown clock will automatically display in the quiz.
11. Time Limit: Enter, in minutes, how long participants have to complete the quiz. If you selected No Time Limit in step 10 above, you may also choose whether or not you'd like to Show clock for participants taking the quiz.
Note: When a time limit is enforced, students will be notified about the time limit in three places: the confirmation window prior to the start of the quiz, on the start page, and in a countdown clock that will appear in the quiz.
12. Grace Period: Enter a Grace Period to set the number of minutes a participant has, after the time limit has passed, to submit their quiz before it is flagged as late. The grace period must be at least 1 minute. This option is only visible if Enforce a time limit is selected in step 10.
Note: Students will not be notified that there is a grace period.
13. Late Behaviour: These options are only visible if Enforce a time limit is selected in step 10.
- Quiz is flagged as late, but student can continue working: Participants can submit their quiz at any time regardless of the time limit and grace period set. The quiz attempt will be flagged as late, but no points will be deducted.
- Quiz is flagged as late, and student is prevented from making further changes: Participants must submit their quiz within the set time limit and grace period. If the participant has not submitted their attempt by the end of the grace period, they will be unable to make any other changes to the quiz and will be prompted to submit their attempt. The quiz attempt will be flagged as late, but no points will be deducted.
- Quiz is flagged as late, but student can continue working. Quiz will be automatically scored as zero after the specified limit: Note that if you have selected this option, you will be prompted to also set a Late Limit. With this option, participants can submit their quiz at any time regardless of the time limit, grace period, and late limit set. The quiz attempt will be flagged as late, and the participant will automatically receive a score of 0 for the attempt.
14. Special Access (Optional) allows you to provide selected participants with availability and time limits for a quiz that are different from the rest of the participants. This is the option that provides special accommodations for DRC students.
- Allow selected users special access to this quiz: All course participants except those listed under special access will have access to the quiz during the above set dates/time. Participants listed under special access will have access to the quiz for whatever availability and timing has been specified for them.
- Allow only users with special access to see this quiz: ONLY participants listed under special access will have access to the quiz for whatever availability and timing has been specified for them. The quiz will be closed to all other course participants.
15. Click the Add Users to Special Access button to assign special access to specific course participants. For more information about configuring Special Access, see the Special Access Quizzes help page.
Tip: Before assigning special access, click the Save button on your quiz to save any availability or timing you have already set for the quiz. Doing so will automatically populate those settings on the special access screen. This allows you to only change what should be different instead of having to re-enter all the information.
16. Click one of the Save options at the bottom of the screen to save your changes:
- Save and Close: Returns you to the Manage Quizzes screen.
- Save: Saves and changes and stays on the same screen.