A Text Information item is not a question that can be used for assessment, but rather is an information item placed within a Quiz or Survey to provide a block of text for course participants to reference on a subsequent group of questions. For Example: If you have 5 questions that should all reference the same journal excerpt, you could place the text of the journal excerpt in the Text Information item and direct students to reference the text for the next 5 questions.
To create a Text Information item, do the following:
1. Click the New button and select Text Information (TXT) from the drop down menu.
Tip: If you are using Sections to organize your questions, make sure to first click on the section where you want to build the question(s) in order to ensure the question is created there. If you have already built a question outside of its designated Question Section, use the Move button to move the question to the Question Section in which it belongs. For more information about moving questions see the help page on moving Question Library questions.
2. Title (Optional): While we typically recommend not entering a title in all questions, for any Text Information item where the question text is more than 1-2 sentences we suggest you enter a few words or a sentence to summarize what the text item contains so the paragraph(s) of text aren't displayed as the title when looking at the list of questions in the Question Library.
3. Question Text: Enter any text that is pertinant to a specific part of the exam. The text entered here may be used as referene text and/or to describe how to answer a subsequent group of questions
4. After completing all above items, choose from the four options below:
- Save: Saves and closes the question, returning you to the Question Library.
- Save and Copy: Saves the question, creates a copy, and displays the copy for you to edit.
- Save and New: Saves the question and opens a new, blank, Text Information question for you to edit.
- Preview: Use to preview your question to see how it will appear when being taken by participants and when being graded by a member of the instructional team. This does not save the question, so when you are finished previewing the question click the Done button to return to the question, then use one of the three save options above to save your question.
If you are editing a question that has already been imported into a Quiz, Survey, and/or Self Assessment, you will be presented with the option to also update the question in those locations (shown above). Be sure to update the question in every location that you want to apply the change. Any location that you do not choose to update will be left with the old version of the question and D2L will consider it an entirely different question from the modified version in the Question Library.
Important: Never update a question in a live Quiz or Survey, as doing so can cause a variety of issues with participant attempts, grading, reports and statistics. Please wait until after the Quiz or Survey period has passed to make modifications to your questions. If you need to modify a question in a live quiz because it is not configured properly, contact the D2L support team using the Online Help Request form to determine the best way to correct the problem.