On Friday January 10, 2014 D2L will be updated from Service Pack 7 to Service Pack 13. This update will require D2L to be taken offline. The update is scheduled to occur during our regularly scheduled maintenance window, from 10:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. D2L will be unavailable during this time.
Click on the corresponding links below for details of the new features and fixes you can expect to see after the upgrade:
- D2L HTML Editor Updates
- Content Usability Improvements
- Changes to Copy Course Components
- Improvements to D2L's Document Viewer
For full details of every change and fix introduced in these service packs download the Service Pack Documentation
D2L HTML Editor Updates
The D2L HTML editor has been updated to improve the following:
Improved Table functionality in News items: Tables in News items now display their grid lines correctly. Additionally, setting the cell padding for the table also displays correctly. Note, that the display of table rows and padding might appear different when viewing them on older pages versus newer pages.
Embedding YouTube videos: YouTube videos embedded through Insert Stuff now use a secure protocol to allow them to work regardless of web server security.
HTML5 Support: Users can now enter HTML5 elements into HTML Editor.
Text Wrapping: Text in HTML Editor now wraps images correctly.
HTML Editing Changes: Text in a table now aligns in published content the same way it appears in a preview when using the HTML Editor and the HTML Editor now leaves the source markup in the order that the user enters it.
Content Usability Improvements
The Content tool has had improvements made to the layout and navigation of the Table of Contents and Module screens as shown below.
Table of Contents Layout
The layout of the buttons within Table of Contents has changed as follows:
- The Add Learning Object button has been moved to both the Action Menu and New button (see the corresponding sections below)
- The Copy Course Components button has been renamed to Import/Export and moved to the first position. Despite being renamed the button still functions identically.
- Bulk Edit has been removed from the More Actions menu and placed as a button on the main Table of Contents page
- The More Actions menu has been renamed to Related Tools
Table of Contents Action Menu
The Action Menu located within the Table of Contents (shown in the screenshot below) has changed as follows:
- All options that were present in the Action Menu in SP7 have been moved to a new Related Tools Menu (see the Table of Contents: More Actions & Related Tools section below)
- The Action Menu now contains all of the options, except Bulk Edit, that were previously in the More Actions Menu
Table of Contents: More Actions & Related Tools
The More Actions Menu has changed as follows:
- The Menu has been renamed from More Actions to Related Tools
- All options that were in the More Actions Menu in SP7 (except Bulk Edit) have been moved to the Action Menu
- The Related Tools Menu contains all of the options that were located within the Action Menu in SP7
- The Bulk Edit option has been removed from the More Actions menu and placed directly within the Table of Contents page (see the Table of Contents Layout section above)
'New' Menu: Located within Table of Contents and Modules
The New Menu, located within both the Table of Contents and Module pages, have changed as follows:
- New Document has been renamed to Create a File
- New Link has been renamed to Create a Link
- Add Course Files has been renamed to Add from Manage Files
- The menu has been reorganized, with Upload files and Add Course Files (now Add from Manage Files) moved to the top of the menu. This separates course materials from course activities.
- Add Object from LOR was added to the New Menu
The layout of the buttons within a Module has changed as follows:
- Bulk Edit has been removed from the More Actions menu and placed as a button on the main page of the module
- The More Actions Menu has been removed (see the Module Action Menu section below for more details)
Module Action Menu
The Action Menu Located within any Module (shown in the screenshot below) has changed as follows:
- A new Edit Title link was added to the Action Menu
- All items previously in the More Actions Menu (Except Bulk Edit) have been moved to the Action Menu
Changes to Copy Course Components
The Course Components fuction within the Import/Export/Copy Components tool changes as follows:
- A new Search for offering button has been added, allowing you to easily view or search for any course that you are listed as Instructor in
- A new Copy All Components button has been added, allowing you to copy a selected course site in its entirety in one click
Improvements to D2L's Document Viewer
The D2L Document Viewer has been updated to improve the following:
- Presentation (.pptx) files edited within Google Docs were not viewable.
- Some documents had images cut off.
- Chinese characters did not display correctly.
- MS Word documents with many pages failed to convert.
- Document viewer did not display graphs.
- Some MS Word 2013 documents were not viewable.
- Some right to left MS Word documents did not convert properly