You can access the Calendar tool in two ways.
- From the course home page, click the down arrow next to the Calendar widget title and select “Go to Calendar.”
- Click Course Admin on the Navbar and then select Calendar from the list of tools.
1. Modify: Personalizing the Calendar
Change the look and settings of the calendar to reflect your needs.
Change the calendar view options.
Choose Day, Week or Month to display events based on those timeframes.
Choose List to see a comprehensive list of events for the course in chronological order.
- Choose Agenda to see more information about upcoming events with direct links to the corresponding course event, such as a Quiz or an Assignment.
- Select a specific date to view (relative to the timeframe you’ve chosen) using the left and right arrows next to the date at the top of the calendar view.
- Select the course calendar to view using the dropdown Actions menu next to the course name.
- Use the calendar to further refine the way information is displayed in your calendar.
2. Add: Calendar Event
Create a calendar event and display it on the calendar.
NOTE: Notifications for events created using this method do not send email or SMS notifications. Students are only notified of these types of events through the Pulse mobile app. These events do show up on all Calendar views in a D2L course.
- Click the button at the top of the course calendar.
- At a minimum you must enter an Event title and the date and time (When) of the event. If the event is for all day (no time needed) click in the box to the left of All day.
You have many options you can use to make the entries on your Calendar more useful to students.>
- You can directly link to Content modules or topics by clicking on the Add Content button. Select the module or topic from the list that pops up. You can even customize the name of the content object after adding it.
- Choose who will see the Event (if not the entire class) by clicking the box under Attendees and selecting a section or group from the list.
- Use the Add Recurrence button for calendar events that have multiple dates.
- Click the Create button to add the event(s) to your course calendar.
3. Edit: Calendar Event
Change a calendar event after it has been created to more accurately reflect the event.
- Find the event on the calendar.
- Click on the event listing and select Edit from the pop-up window.
Make any changes just as you would when creating the event and then Click Save at the bottom of the screen when you are finished making the changes.
4. Delete a Calendar Event
Remove a calendar event entirely from the course calendar.
- Find the event on the Calendar.
- Click on the event.
- Click Delete in the pop-up window.
5. Subscribe: Calendars in Outlook, Google, and iOS
Subscribe to a D2L calendar using your personal calendaring program such as Outlook, Google Calendar, or iPhone Calendar.
NOTE: Calendar subscriptions will not update instantly when a change is made to the D2L calendar. See below for details for some of the major calendaring systems.
- Open the Calendar in your D2L course.
Select the Settings Link.
Ensure the box to the left of Enable Calendar Feeds is checked
Click the Subscribe link.
A window will open with the link to ALL your D2L calendars by default.
If you only want the calendar from one course, select it from the list.
Now go back to your personal calendaring system and find the option to add a calendar by URL or subscription. This will vary by application.
In Outlook: Go to the Calendar, select Add Calendar, Subscribe from the web. Paste the URL from above in the appropriate line.
On a Mac: This web page> will guide you through the steps of subscribing to a calendar.
In Google Calendar: Click the Plus sign to the right of Other Calendars. Choose Subscribe to Calendar from the popup list. Click From URL in the list on the left side of the page and then paste the URL copied above in the appropriate spot. Click Add Calendar to finish.
Calendar Sync Timing
MS Outlook: Your Outlook calendar will generally sync any dates created in the course D2L calendar within 24 hours. While you may get faster sync times than this, you should never plan on it.
Google Calendar: Testing has shown that the Google calendar syncing is erratic when left to its own schedule. It can take anywhere from hours to days to sync the calendars.
If you are willing to work with a Google script, Derek Antrican has created this one that will allow you to set a schedule to run a quick check of the calendars and pull in any new events from your D2L calendar each time it runs. This is a sure fire way to keep your Google calendar up to date. You follow the embedded instructions to edit a few lines of the script, run it once, and it will work away in the background with no further intervention.
Apple Calendars: In the Calendar app on your Mac, Control-click the calendar’s name, then choose Get Info. Click the Auto-refresh pop-up menu, then choose an option.